Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Desmond Ong
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
Day portraits with fill in flash using SB-700
Jul 19, 2011

One fine afternoon at outdoor shooting with my partner, I was using a D90 with a 50mm F1.8G lense and a SB-700 to take a portrait photo of my partner, I realise that I need to use a fill-in flash by setting the flash head at 90 deg with the bounce card extended for a portrait shot due to the underexpose in the subject foreground. As for portrait shots, I set my aperture between F1.8 - F2.8 in order to achieve a shallow depth of field with the ISO between 80-200.

During the composition, I tried to set the metering to the centre by adjusting the shutter speed. It somehow stop at 1/200 at unable to increase further and yet the metering still appear overexposed even with the ISO set to the lowest and flash EV was set to -3.0.

The only method to compensate is to adjust to a smaller aperture which I do not want it.

Can anyone suggest what can I do to achieve the portrait shots with shallow depth of field with the use of fast shutter speed in the daylight?

Desmond Ong's gear list:Desmond Ong's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow