Wideangle closeup with 18-200VR and K-1 extension tube

Started Jul 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,077
Like?
Re: Wideangle closeup with 18-200VR and K-1 extension tube
In reply to pete_mb, Jul 19, 2011

pete_mb wrote:

The effect is much more extreme than I'd imagined. With that in mind, I find it a shame that you can't get tubes of around 3-5mm in length, at least not without messing about and risking the AF contacts as you describe with the K-1.

Well it's the way F-mount is made, I guess thinner is not possible. Screw mounts are different...

I think the K-1 should be safe actually, just handle with care, and shave off a bit if you're not certain. Using a cardboard spacer ring and handholding is trickier (one must pay attention to the aperture mechanism, maybe another mechanical AIS coupling on the big cameras).

But the issue could be most conveniently solved by the lenses allowing some more close-focus-throw "overdrive". For instance there are certain AIS wide Nikkor primes which may be relatively easily modded to focus a bit closer than default (like default max magnification around 1:10, modded 1:6, default with K-1 1:3).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow