Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
The False Popularity of Bridge Cameras
Jul 19, 2011

Often it is read here at FTF that people HATE carrying around large SLR's and HATE changing lenses. You read that so much here that one would assume that it is true, and gospel.

Well, the reality of the camera market says otherwise. Witness:

"Canon forecasts sales of about 7 million single-lens reflex cameras this year, compared with sales of 5.9 million last year"

SEVEN   million DSLR's! And that does not even include Nikon or Sony. Further, look at the rate of increase: +19%!

Anyway you look at it, SLR's are a smashing success, resulting in huge profits for camera makers.

Bridges? Where do you even find them? Example: Last Sunday night, I took a walk along Shanghai's famous Bund. It is a phenomenally crowded area (see photo below), with enormous crowds, all taking pictures of Shanghai's futuristic skyline. I walked the crowd for close to two hours, looking at every camera I could lay my eyes on. I saw an enormous number of SLR's. Far too many to retain in my head accurately. Next in popularity was easily the cell phone. Enormous numbers of cell phones have replaced people's cameras. Lots of compacts, but none were Fuji's. Sony and Samsung seem to be massive here in China. I saw a few u4/3rd cameras, truly a rare sight here as well. Bridges? Less than 10. 8 to be exact. All either Pany, or Canon. No Fuji in sight. I see a lot of HS11's/22EXR's here in the stores...but never much out in the 'wild'.

It would be interesting to see Fujifilm publish bridge camera sales. I bet if the HS20 sold 7 million copies, they would publish that number in a split second.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Ha..New
(unknown member)
DanNew
(unknown member)
ratNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow