Using GH2 as HD streaming camera - any issues?

Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tunecrew
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Using GH2 as HD streaming camera - any issues?
Jul 19, 2011

I do a lot of streaming video of live music events and nightclubs and am wondering how appropriate the GH2 would be for this kind of use.

I am currently using consumer camcorders with HDMI outs - these are fed into an Matrox MXO2, then into a Mac running Wirecast. The stream itself is 720p max but I save the 1080p feed to disk for later editing.

The low light performance is terrible of course, and I am looking into DSLR and m4/3 cameras to take advantage of bigger and better sensors and interchangeable lenses, as the the actual video cameras that can help me are out of my budget.

I tried with a Canon 60D recently, and for some reason it stops the video out every 30 minutes (not the firmware recording limit, as I am not actually recording with it - someone suggested a protection against overheating?)

So the question is... can the GH2 send a 720p or 1080p video stream over HDMI, with no overlays, and for an arbitrary amount of time with no problems?

thanx!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow