Started Jul 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
limited_bokeh
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Help me get started - Printer - Ink - Calibrator - IPS panel
Jul 18, 2011

Well I have decided to finally start doing some of my own printing at home, rather than send off to the lab. I am pretty much set on getting the Canon Pixma Pro9000 MK II .. the price on these are just too good to pass up. Seems like a good price to get into this again..

Few questions.

1. If I plan to run compatible inks ( and I have read through threads about this ).. is there any reliable retailer that makes good compatible inks already in the cartridge? I would like to down the road purchase bulk bottles/squeeze bottles/empty carts/ etc, but just to get started figured I would see if I could find some decent compatible carts

2. What kind of calibrator is best for my needs? I am just a hobbyist, don't make any money from my work, but want the ability to match my prints close to what I see on screen. Is the cheapest solution going to be a colormunki?

3. Right now I am running a non-calibrated ( DELL ) TN panel. It's actually one of the newer models and the color looks good to me ( comparing to my mac IPS from work ) but I know I need to upgrade this soon. Will calibrating a TN panel be worth the time.. or am I just wasting time until I get an IPS panel?

Here are the three things I am going to purchase so I can start getting into printing from home..
IPS PANEL, Canon Pixma PRO9000 MK II, Calibration device.. and inks.

In what order should I purchase this stuff? I can't get it all at once, and obviously the color calibrator is going to be needed if I want to do my own prints. Should I get the display first, and then get the printer/calibrator... or can I get started with the printer/calibrator and use it in conjunction with my DELL TN panel.. and get an IPS panel in a couple of months?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow