New A850 + CZ 24-70 (Quick Portrait Tests)

Started Jul 18, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sonyphotobug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070
Like?
New A850 + CZ 24-70 (Quick Portrait Tests)
Jul 18, 2011

Yesterday I bought something I have wanted for years, the Sony A850 and the CZ 24-70 2.8 Lens.

I debated between Sony and Canon. After tons of research, I decided to go with the Sony because I will mainly be doing Weddings, Portraits and Studio work - most the websites rate Sony A850 + the CZ Lens as the best in this area. I will not be doing a ton of Sports or Nature Photos, which was a big strength of the Canon.

PROS:

1. Love the pictures in the 100-400 ISO Range (Will try higher when I get LR3 this week)
2. CZ 24-70 Lens is very sharp and fast
3. Controls are VERY easy to learn, buttons are well place for quick access
4. Only used RAW, but will be trying the CRAW to see if their is a difference.

CONS:

1. Weight (Not sure how other PROS Cameras are, but the combo of Camera, Lens and Flash is not for the faint of heart)

2. JPG, from what I have read, it is not the way to go. But, I never use it anyway, so not that big of a deal breaker for me.

3. Daughter thought Canon is a cooler name, until she played with the CZ Lens. Now she LOVES the combo!!!

4. LARGE file sizes. Converting to 16 bit TIFF creates a 128 meg files. I have tweaked in Sony's Image Data Converter, then Exported to 16-18 meg JPG files. I have a new PC from Dell coming and will be using LR3 which will help to do batch conversions. So, Large files are a blessing and a curse.

Much to learn in the coming week (always something new to learn in photography), but here are some quick pictures I did after church on Sunday.

Family

Girl

Mom and Daughter

-- hide signature --

Beauty of the picture is in the eye of the beholder

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow