Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
holder1
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
HX100V Defective?
Jul 17, 2011

Hello all...newbie here...just got my first Sony, the incredible HX100V! After two weeks of decision making and trying out Nikon, Canon and Panasonic, I kept going back to the Sony. I ordered it online while Best Buy had it on sale last weekend and I got it last Wednesday. After taking this beast out of the box, I noticed two things I would like to ask the group about.

First, holding the camera in my hand before inserting the battery, I tilted it sideways and noticed something that felt "loose" For those that may want to see if yours exhibits this as well, hold the camera in your hand and GENTLY "rock" the camera from side to side. When I do that it feels like either the lens or something internal "shifts" I cannot figure out where this is coming from as the lens barrel, grip, lcd, flash, dials, all seem tight and are not loose. After charging the battery, I examined the lens zoom operation and it seems smooth. But something definitely "shifts" when you move the camera as if the lens itself isn't attached fully? Otherwise, the camera takes beautiful pictures.

Secondly, UPS delivered the camera on the hottest day of the year here in NC. It was 101 with a heat index of 112. I just happened to pull into my driveway just as he arrived. I observed him get the box out of the locked back cargo area. I asked him how hot it was back there and he said his temp read 145 degrees! He also said his truck was loaded at 5 that morning so it sat in that hot truck for almost 12 hours. When I opened the box I did notice that the charger and camera itself were hot so I let everything cool over night. Should any of these facts be a concern??? As a side note, the serial# of this cam ends in "666" maybe that's not a good sign! Ha!

I am just before going down to my local Best Buy to take back the bag I purchased with the camera as it is too small. For those of you thinking of purchasing your cam/bag from them the Sony Model: LCSU10 Bag is too small. Get the Model: LCSU20 instead. I also need to pick up a memory card. Any suggestions?

I wanted to post my concerns to the group and get your expert opinions on whether my new camera sounds defective? If so, I will just exchange it for another one while I am at the store.

Thanks for reading, and ALL of your advice! I have enjoyed reading everyone's experience with this camera and hope to contribute soon!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow