Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zinda
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Sony Nex-3 vs. Olympus E-PL1
Jul 17, 2011

I was thinking to buy a NEX-3. Assets to me are the tilting screen, directable flash, high ISO, compact size and price. Cons are the lack of detail that I thought was caused by the NR, but is still there in RAW as you can see in the samples at ISO 400 (especially compared to the Olympus PEN E-PL1, which is even slightly cheeper and offers more options with lenses) and the tendency to overexpose. From both DPreview reviews:

NEX: In these tests both Sonys produced images at least a third of a stop brighter than you would expect for a given aperture and shutter speed combination, hence their ISO ratings are above the stated values. However, in real-world use, the camera has a strong tendancy to choose shutter speed and aperture combinations that result in overexposed images.

EPL1: The most surprising thing about this test is the amount of detail retained at high ISO, with sharper, more detailed images all the way from ISO 400 upwards. The E-PL1 is not only doing a better job here than either of the other Micro Four Thirds cameras, but is also doing a better job of balancing noise and detail than the larger-sensored Nikon D3000.

So what to do? All suggestions and experience welcome.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow