Started Jul 17, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digitalic
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Epson R2880 Troubles, Troubles, Troubles
Jul 17, 2011

I have had my R2880 for a couple of years. The problem is that the printer is just too temperamental. This printer should have a very large warning label on the box and in all literature for it saying that the print heads will clog up if you don't print every week. I have fought with this beast about 6 times in 2 years with clogged heads and wasted hundreds of dollars in ink trying to clean the nozzles.

There needs to be a way to unclog nozzles without using EXPENSIVE ink. I emptied a new set today trying unsuccessfully to unclog several heads.

Why isn't there a way to remove the ink cartridges, cap them and replace them with a non dye ink substitute that will clean and keep the nozzles wet for up to 6 months? Putting a printer in storage for six months should not render it useless. ( Ok, so now somone will post there is a way.)

True, if I just printed every week then this might not happen. EVERY WEEK!!! I work 12 hour days.

Tech support says the only way to do this is to run clean cycles. I even tried a dilute mixture of distilled water, ammonia, and ethyl alcohol. It helped the yellow but the cyan is still over 50% clogged.

At this point I may just give up and toss it in the trash. I don't know how many times I have to run the clean cycle and it could easily eat $200 in ink. I might send it in for repair but that will also cost me hundreds of bucks. As of today the total cost in since new is $15 per 8.5x11!

I think that Epson is the Ferrari of printers...the prints are beautiful to look at but the machine is very very expensive to keep running.

Appologies it this seems a rant, I want to let others know that there is a big downside to having a nice printer if you don't print often and a lot.
Steve

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow