Started Jul 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055Gear list
Like?
Full Moon with NEX-5 + 1000mm
Jul 16, 2011

I was fortunate enough to have a clear night sky and a full moon the other night. Knowing how cloudy it is in London I decided to setup the tripod in the garden and take some snaps with my MTO 500mm lens.

I've had the lens for over a month but hadn't had the chance to use it for the moon shot I intended to!

After fiddling around in stacking images using the LREnfuse plugin in Lightroom and doing adjustments in Photoshop I'm finally happy with the results. It looks much much better than just one exposure by itself.

I ended up stacking about 20 or so shots that were shot at ISO 1600, F16 (the MTO is F8 but you lose two stops with the 2x adapter) @ 1/500. This was my first go at using this stacking technique and have to say it was worth putting in the effort as it helped reduce the noise which in turn allowed me to adjust the exposure to bring out more detail. I repeated this techique of stacking and adjusting until I got the results I was happy with see below...

Larger version here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54641375@N02/5941813714/in/photostream

Amazing what our little NEX can do eh?

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow