Started Jul 16, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mbc28
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
HX100V - LCD issues - still oversaturated and very red skin posterization
Jul 16, 2011

To all the HX100V users out there .... firstly let me say I love the camera - the lens is awesome and the IS system is superb - showing that the camera is capable of some great images - however besides a very badly oversaturated LCD screen I found it was a bit of "hit an miss" re exposure and colour casting and so sent the camera back to Sony for repairs, and 2 days ago.... they shipped me a new camera ..... BUT it has the same problems...

so ....was wondering how many HX100V users out there are having this problem - very over saturated LCD screen - ....skin tones way too red and almost posterized - cream walls appear yellow and shadows have a very red cast - this is very apparent indoors - and youre not going to see it by pointing the camera at a flower in the garden- and as much as I love taking pics of flowers and birds too, I do intend taking pics of people and indoor scenes as well ...interestingly enough - images when downloaded seem ok re exposure - but in most cases still too much magenta in skin tones (more than what I was getting with my HX1) but not nearly as bad and as saturated as on the LCD.

I have looked at 3 other new cameras in the stores here in Canada and all have the same problem - you immediately see it in the store when comparing the LCD screens and pointing it at someone ...which makes me think theres a quality issue - its easy to say well you cant or shouldnt rely on the LCD - but this is so far off when you review your images on screen you cant tell if you had a great shot or not - everyone looks asif they have a red light pointing at them so forget a nice playback on your cameras LCD

So today I put it alongside my old HX1 (which I loved and sold to a friend) and its like night and day - people were commenting on the huge difference - the colours on the HX1 LCD are pretty accurate and detail in shadows are there as well and the shadows are not redish at all - and there is a huge difference in brightness as well and its not so contrasty either - you can actually see details in the shadows way better on the HX1's LCD - I took an image of the 2 together - unfortunately its difficult to capture accurately with the light coming from behind the screen and its way worse in reality but hopefully this gives you all some idea of whats going on - both cameras were set on auto - the screen on the HX100V was at its brightest so shadow detail was not totally lost (the brightness made no difference to the colours) and HX1 screen was set at normal - on its brightest setting it was too bright and washed out and even though it appears a bit light in this attached image it was actually pretty clear and colours accurate

I'm really hoping they put out a firmware fix to correct this issue -----and if more people mention they have the same problem then Sony will realize there IS an issue with some of the cameras - there is talk going around that factories were changed due to the disaster in Japan and thats why the cameras arrived here in Canada months later than originally expected - was wondering if owners in the UK or other European countries were having the same problem

for those who think I'm just being over critical and expecting too much I'd just like to say that I think it should be at least as good as the cheapest other sony LCD out there - and having looked at the LCD's of other small point and shoot cameras here at work, (its amazing how many people carry their cameras in their bags) from Fujis to canons - every single one makes this LCD look bad and everyone agrees something is wrong - I contacted Sony customer service again and sent images and am waiting to hear back - but would value and appreciate feedback from other HX 100V owners

mbc28's gear list:mbc28's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SamNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow