Started Jul 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photo_garry
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Epson 4880 PK-MK ink switch
Jul 15, 2011

I know this has been discussed quite a bit and I searched but did not find an answer to a question I have. I'm planning on obtaining an Epson 4880 printer. On the Epson 4880, since the chips contain the ink information, why is it not possible to purchase a single PK refillable cartridge from a third party supplier, fill it with MK ink and just switch cartridges between the two. The printer will always believe it has PK installed and not require the ink purge which can be accomplished by printing some scrap black prints to flush only the black line. I know this would entail using third party inks, unless you filled the cartridge with OEM ink taken from a OEM matte black ink cartridge.

There would have to be a custom ICC to handle the situation where it thinks it is using PK instead it is MK but it seems in theory the printer should print using the MK ink from the PK cartridge. Is there another issue that prevents this type of switch I'm not aware of?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow