Started Jul 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Yardgrass
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
FF vs. crop - quality difference in landscape photography
Jul 14, 2011

Been considering to upgrade from a crop to FF camera. FF is often recommended suitable for landscape photography, but does it really bring advantage over APS-C?

Is it true that for example 1.6x crop at 10mm and FF at 16 mm (both with f16) give the same FOV, but that the crop gives larger DOF because of shorter focal length? So to get the same DOF with FF I'd have to use higher aperture which causes more diffraction. Or does FF give less diffraction with say f22 than crop at f16?

Anyway I was wondering where the advantage of FF over crop comes in landscape work. Maybe color, sharpness or better dynamic range? Doesn't FF bring even more vigneting to photos? Especially I was wondering if there is any notable difference in the quality of landscape photographs taken with crop and EF-S 10-22mm vs. FF and EF 16-35 mm? Or is it true that I should have FF camera combined with a wide L-quality prime lens to get a notable quality difference compared to crop camera in landscape photos?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow