Benefits and downsides of 1D Mk II (N or non-N)

Started Jul 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
verbiage
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Benefits and downsides of 1D Mk II (N or non-N)
Jul 14, 2011

Hello there,

After reading a few old threads of various vintage here and some reviews elsewhere, and also reading TFM :), I'm leaning towards getting a used 1D Mk II for better, faster, more precise AF for moving subjects (I'm currently shooting with a 5D Mk II and a 60D). Newer Mks III & IV are out of my price range, so I'll have to make do.

I have found some info, but still have a few questions. If I understand correctly:

• There's no MF adjust function, so I should be prepared to send the camera with lenses to Canon. Possibly camera s as I would still want some of my lenses to work correctly on the other bodies.

• There's no "auto" sensor cleaning (which is fine, I guess, with some extra planning to avoid swapping lenses quite as often)

• AF is accurate and fast, but not as fine-tunable as in the later 1D models or the 7D - is this right?

• There's no "spot" AF, but AF points are still more precise than in the con/prosumer models - the actual AF sensors are more or less the size of AF points, not bigger as in 5D etc.

• Battery and charger are heavy, but new aftermarket batteries have decent life (someone here has said "thousands of shots," even around 1K should be fine)

Are any of these off the mark? Can you think of any other significant concerns re Mk II bodies?

Your valuable comments and suggestions will be gratefully appreciated - and thank you in advance!

S.K.

verbiage's gear list:verbiage's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 60D +13 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow