Sigma 18-250mm First Impressions,.... your thoughts?

Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,496
Like?
Sigma 18-250mm First Impressions,.... your thoughts?
Jul 13, 2011

I ordered the Sigma 18-250 based mainly on scattered opinions picked up on this forum in various threads and through reading user reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. I had no doubt that I had ordered the right lens.

Well, the lens arrived yesterday and when I opened it, I thought,…. “What have I done?” I knew it was heavier than the competition but the actual heft and size was a surprise. I had serious doubts that it was the right lens for me. Those doubts were erased once I mounted the lens on my a55. It balances well and actually seems handier than my lighter Sony 75-300mm. It is a serious looking lens that seems to be well built. I like it.

I’m hoping this post will get others to post impressions of this lens so that potential buyers can find most of the answers they need to make up their mind, right here, in one thread.

My first impressions, to be brief, are that this is an excellent zoom lens. I find the IQ to be fine throughout the zoom range. I didn't do comparisons, just subjectively judged the output of the Sigma with my eyes. The IS is surprisingly good. Compared to the internal a55 IS, it seems better, at least to the eye. The view through the EVF is very steady. I did a few video clips and the results are conclusive. I'll use the lens IS anytime the lens is installed. The zoom ring is a little stiff but I expect that to smooth out with use. The lens lock functions perfectly and is in a good location. I like the way you can pinch off and install the lens cap with the hood installed. The big 72mm cap is easy to get on and off.

To the point,….I really like this lens and think I made the right choice, due mainly to input from forum members. Thank you!
Jack

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow