Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Robert Peters
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,362Gear list
Like?
Combo update 10.6.8 and JPEG icons
Jul 13, 2011

A couple of days ago I ran into a problem with the Combo Updater for 10.6.8. Since then I have noted (Apple Discussion Forums) that others have had similar problems. Here is the whole story just as I reported it to Apple:

I updated 3 computers last week and everything appeared to be OK. Then, Monday night I noticed that some JPEG preview images were not being displayed in the Finder. On top of that, each file exhibiting that problem could not be displayed in Preview but in Photoshop looked fine.

Since all the these images were on a secondary, internal drive I decided to run the Disk Utility and use the Repair Disk option. I immediately got a dialog box stating that the drive could not be unmounted because some of the images were in use. No, they were not. The only way out of this mess was to reboot. Then, the secondary drive would unmount and I could run Disk Utility.

A few of these image were also on my wife's computer so I checked to see if they could be opened by Preview and that the Finder icon was correct. No problems. After seeing that, I transferred the files to my computer and...the Finder icons reverted to a generic form and I could not open them in Preview.

Since then I have erased the boot drive twice, loaded 10.6 and then updated combo updated in both cases) to either 10.6.8 or 10.6.7. When I updated to 10.6.8 the problem returned. However, when I updated to 10.6.7 everything was as expected.

Update 10.6.8 has some serious problems which raises the question: Why has nothing been done by Apple to correct the problem? This is NOT right.

Robert Peters's gear list:Robert Peters's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow