Started Jul 13, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nectar D Or
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
Ultra wide for crop body. Opinions?
Jul 13, 2011

I am fairly new to dslr, and my kit includes the T3i, 18-55, 55-250 and 85 1.8.

During a trip to the great landscapes of Nova Scotia I felt that I was missing an uwa. The kitlens was doing fine on the wide end, but sometimes it felt like it did not capture full beauty of the scenes, and for my taste the pics were lacking a 3-d feeling.

I also felt that I was using mostly 18-20 mm and 50-55 mm ranges, and sometimes wished I could go wider.

I would like to ask a few questions -

First - do you think I would be happier with an uwa? would it be possible to get the 3d feeling in landscape shots?

Second - how important is it to have an uwa that can go fairly high (20-22 mm)? does it really add to the flexibility of the lens or is this part of the range not used often?

Third - is it important to have a fast uwa? What for? Do you use these lenses indoors/in poor lighting? Can a fast uwa replace a fast wa prime as an indoor lens?

Last - I would like to hear recommendations for such lenses. Please consider that my budget is limited.

Your help is much appreciated.

Nectar D Or's gear list:Nectar D Or's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow