Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
CriticalI
Senior MemberPosts: 1,777
Like?
Re: Whats up with ISO buttons?
In reply to Graystar, Jul 12, 2011

Graystar wrote:

CriticalI wrote:

Yes, it does. As default from what I remember.

According to the K-5 manual, exposure remains locked as long as the AE-L button is kept pressed (or the shutter release button is kept pressed halfway.)

True, but because of the way manual mode is implemented on Pentax, there is a different way of operating which is much more intuitive.

What I meant was that EV comp is retained between shots. You can use it in M mode to create an offset to the metered value. In M mode, this exposure it then retained.

If you want to get a new meter reading, you just press the green button, and the camera will set to the default P, Av or Tv exposure. I don't need to use a long term AE lock, because I can use manual as conveniently as I can use P mode.

The exposure remains locked for twice the amount of the exposure metering timer after you take your finger off the AE-L button. The metering timer has a max setting of 30 seconds, which means you can’t keep an exposure lock for more than 1 minute without intervening. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I remember that my K-x would lose the lock after firing the shutter. Also, the K-5 manual says you can’t use auto ISO in manual mode. When set to Auto, it just uses the lowest ISO that was set in the ISO range.

Like I said, there is no need to do either. Auto ISO works fine in all other auto modes, I don't WANT it to work in M mode. Manual means Manual. Moreover, Auto ISO is focal-length aware, which is much more useful on the whole.

Nor do I want the meter to remain permenently set. I want to be able to react to change, and besides just because the meter is ON does not mean it wont tak another reading as soon as I press the shutter.

But just as important, the K-5 manual says that AE-L is canceled when the mode dial is turned or menu button is pressed. That limits the usefulness of the function.

No, it's actually the sensible way to work. If I want to maintain the exposure and use auto ISO I just use TAV mode.

On a Nikon, after setting the meter timeout to 30 min on my D90 (“no limit” is an option on your D700) and locking exposure, I can change just about any setting I want. I can change the mode dial to any of the PASM modes, enable/disable Auto-ISO, or make any other changes I deem necessary, without having to worry that I’ll lose my locked exposure.

Fine, but this is just another mode of operation. Moreover, I can think of a few times that I would find this quite annoying and want to switch it off.

That's the root feature that Nikon/Sony provide that makes the process I described possible. As I described it, I would never need to execute such extraneous steps as setting the manual settings to the P mode settings because I could just use P mode directly or any other auto mode and still have consistent exposure.

I think you missed the point of the green button, but never mind. The fact is Pentax has a neat solution to the issue, no more awkward than Nikon's.

I understand the point of the green button. What you're missing is that Nikon's functionality obviates the need for the green button functions (as they relate to exposure.) That's because Nikon's AE Lock functionality is much better than the Pentax system.

Hardly. Having to set the exposure lock to permanent is disabled the minute you press the shutter button as I use AF/L on rear button and AE/L on shutter press so to me this is a useless. It also drains the battery faster.

I suggest you try using both systems before you pass judgement. Pentax works very intuitively. M means M on Pentax, on Nikon it means "until I use auto ISO" in which case it becomes similar to Pentax's TAv mode.

Auto ISO is a poor compromise at best, and poorly implemented on all cameras. Nikon is a little behind IMO, because it is not focal length aware, so its only useful for tracking action which requires a set shutter speed, or when using primes.

But I sincerely suggest you try using a Pentax before you judge it. I much prefer Nikons AF and flash, but Pentax has a lot of features I really miss.
--
Regards,
Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow