600 portraits over 2 years - fee and logistics?

Started Jul 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
highlandlass2
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
600 portraits over 2 years - fee and logistics?
Jul 12, 2011

I've been approached to take 600 individual portraits (of members of a group), ideally within a 2-year timeframe. They are scattered around the UK and I will need to go to each person's house. I intend to shoot outdoors in natural light, probably with a plain backdrop. The photos will go into a single copy formal album (with two or three books). I therefore have to produce a final edited version of each portrait and get the batch printed to archive quality. Each individual could be given / buy a copy of their portrait and the option to buy a photobook but this is secondary.

Can anyone offer suggestions on :
(a) what to charge for the whole project ?

(b) the logistics of shooting so many people - presuming some live in the same area, how many can I hope to shoot in one day, taking into account variable travel times and their availability ?

(c) other things I should think about e.g. standardisation even though different conditions etc

After some rough calculations, I have guesstimated 10 people per day, 100 miles per day, 10 minutes post-production per photo, and a lot of liaising to get it organised.

This comes to about 20 full-time weeks (although it would be spread out over the 2 years) and 6000 miles. Does this sound realistic ?

It is hard to compare a one-off location shoot that other portrait photographers offer with this massive project. Obviously there would be a discount with so many people involved but it will still take a long time to do. It would be an honour to do the job but I hope to do it for a fair rate, whatever that may be. I work from home so have no studio costs.

Thank you in advance.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow