Started Jul 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lobalobo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,701
Like?
Panasonic: It's the Lenses Stupid!
Jul 12, 2011

The title is not to suggest that Panasonic is in fact stupid, but rather to paraphrase the slogan of Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign. (Was that really 20 years ago?)

Anyway, just read the DPR review of the G3 and was particularly interested in the reviewers' opinion that the camera is short on physical buttons and awkward to grip with a lens larger than the 14-140. That's too bad. For those who want, in essence, a sensor pasted to the back of a lens (and I understand the appeal) there is the GF series. For those who want full video capabilities, there is the GH series. I had hoped the G series would remain for those of us who want to concentrate on still photography and appreciate both physical buttons and a solid grip.

In my case, I bought into m4/3 and the G series because I can get lenses from 14mm to 600mm (in 35mm equivalent) in a pack easily carried as a side-bag, not something remotely possible in a DSLR. That is, the value, at least to me, is in the small size and light weight of the lenses; I don't want a body smaller than the G1 or G2. Perhaps there are few others like me, I don't know. When I get ready to upgrade from my G1, I guess it will be with the next GH camera, and I'll have to pay a premium for video capability that I'll never use. (Sigh)

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow