Started Jul 12, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jungleexplorer
Regular MemberPosts: 349
Like?
Need advice on shooting sunset with K-r
Jul 12, 2011

I love my K-r but I am not able to capture sunsets, sun rises, and a few other bright light situations. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I feel like I have tried everything. The K-r even has a scene setting called "Sunset" that does not work. Let me show you what I am talking about.

This shot was taken in Auto Pict mode. Which obviously did not choose the correct settings.

This picture was one of about twenty I took in Manual mode. This was the best I could do.

I think this one I took using the "Sunset" Preset mode.

Another problem I am having is shooting shaded subjects with brightly lit backgrounds. Either the subject ends up totally dark and the background is correctly exposed, or the subject is correctly exposed and the background is over exposed and bled out. Below are some examples of what I am talking about.

The problem is that the subjects in the above pictures were not nearly as dark as they turned out in the pictures. But if I adjusted the iso up to where the subjects were exposed correctly (looked like they did with the naked eye), the background would be almost white it was so over exposed.

So what is the trick to taking sun shots and brightly background with an slr? I never had a problem taking these shots with my bridge and P&S cameras. Why are they so difficult with an slr?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow