sx230 - 16:9 or 2:3 or 4:3 for images (not movies) (and other settings)

Started Jul 11, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jake21
Contributing MemberPosts: 511
Like?
sx230 - 16:9 or 2:3 or 4:3 for images (not movies) (and other settings)
Jul 11, 2011

I picked up an sx230 for a trip later this week; well it should arrive today. I know not much time (in fact no time) for testing and such.
-

I wanted to check on a few settings since I won't have much time to play with the camera.

First is there any disadvantage to leaving the image as 16:9 (as oppose to more common 2:3 - or less common 4:3) other than larger jpeg ? I.e, does cropping later on produce the exact same result as having the camera do the cropping ?
-
As far as I know I should set the following:
saturation +1
sharpness +1
gps on
gps logging off (else dead battery)
i-contrast (off but turn it on when very high shadows/contrast)
is on
is continous (off to save battery)
jpeg fine
-

Also should I use 200 or 400 if I need to boost shutter speed for long tele outdoors?

I know some cameras 200 is sometime worse than 400. While having a long zoom is nice I presume I should try to get the shutter speed 1/200 or 1400 if possible.
-

Side topic but still debating if I should grap a s95 or hx9v (and return this). Seems like al the cameras have pro/cons with the s95 better images but no super zoom/worse video; hx 9v better video but the canon has better sound/still images.
-

I might take an slr with me - this was meant for pocket when I don't want to carry the slr; not 100% sure on the slr big weight issue.
-

Anyways really want to focus on the settings as I have no time to play with the camera to test different combinations.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow