Let's see your hummingbird shot....

Started Jul 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,835Gear list
Like?
One... more... time...
In reply to tonyjr, Jul 10, 2011

Sorry, have no idea what happened to me earlier post. Text just disappeared.

Location is Portland, OR, USA... right there in my profile.

Earlier advice is spot on. Taping the feeder holes is a brilliant idea... will have to try that myself. It takes a lot of patience to catch these guys hovering. I like using a monopod, which really helps when using a larger lens like the 100-400, but still provides a little bit of flexibility in being able to move around.

Lately, have tried using the 100L macro hand held and if you stay still, you can get pretty close to the feeder and they will pretty well ignore you. That lens is just razor sharp, plus has larger aperture to enable higher shutter speeds.

Takes a lot of patience, and am only getting results I'm happy with over the last couple of weeks or so. Be prepared to camp out for a good hour and if you hit it at the right time (mornings/early evenings), you will likely get rewarded for it.

Best of luck.

tonyjr wrote:

It would be nice if posted location - like california / USA .

So far nothing but butt shots - I set up camera on tripod facing feeder with remote but they just seem to want to get in between camera and feeder .
--
1st it's a hobby
7D gripped XTI gripped
Canon - efs 10-22 , 17-55 , ef 18-55 IS
EF 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS
L's 35-350 , 70-200 MK II IS
Quantaray lens 70-300 macro
Sigma 135 - 400
2X III , Life Size converter
KSM filters for all
kenko auto tubes , EF 25

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow