Best format to convert K-r videos to?

Started Jul 10, 2011 | Discussions thread
William Koehler
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Re: Best format to convert K-r videos to?
In reply to jungleexplorer, Jul 10, 2011

jungleexplorer wrote:

The K-r takes amazing video, but it is in raw format so it has a huge data size.

As previously noted, the Pentax K-r shoots video using Motion JPEG. The data rate is about 5 MB/sec.

My 8 GB card say I can take 13 minutes of video when it is completely empty. That is okay with me because I only take short clips anyway.

The Pentax DSLRs have a 4 GB video file size limit. That means your 8 GB card can handle up to 26 minutes of video with each clip being thirteen minutes or less.

But when it comes to long term storage, those little clips take up a lot of space. I want to convert the videos to a format that will reduce the data size without losing quality. Can anyone recommend a program (free is better) and a format to do this? Thanks.

I use a video editor - Sony Vegas Movie Studio will give you excellent results. My little experience with anything else has been QuickTime Pro on the PC platform (I get an I/O error at the end of any conversion) and VLC (horrible results). The codec to go to is either MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 - either can shrink file sizes dramatically from M-JPEG. MPEG-4 will take a lot more time. YMMV.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow