Started Jul 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,974
Like?
Not agreed
In reply to Manchu, Jul 9, 2011

Manchu wrote:

bkpix wrote:

I own the 16-50 and the 50-135 and have had no problems. My good experience, though, doesn't constitute anything more than a single data point in determining the overall failure rate. The fact I've had a good experience is no more significant than the individual experiences of people reporting problems.

The trouble is, the unhappy people are louder in this discussion.

There is no evidence (beyond web accounts from unhappy individuals) that SDM lenses have any higher or lower failure rate than any other digital equipment. To say otherwise simply puts you in grassy knoll territory.

The internet petitions and lists are well-intentioned but meaningless, as they are self selected samples. Certainly they indicate there might be a problem. There are also accounts on the web that indicate the failure rate of Pentax lenses is no different from other manufacturers. That indicates there might not be a problem.

I prefer to make decisions based on verifiable evidence, and there is none here to be had, one way or the other. Meanwhile, the lenses are excellent, and I haven't been worried about them.

What is sad is the number of people out there -- like one posting above -- who believe the lens might be worth owning but are afraid to buy it because of the internet echo chamber effects.

Hope that you are, after reading more posts about opinions and experiences with SDM, not feeling so sad now,

Actually, he didn't say he himself personally was sad. He said that IT was sad (as in pathetic, something to be pitied) that "the number of people out there -- like one posting above -- who believe the lens might be worth owning but are afraid to buy it because of the internet echo chamber effects."

All of which was valid.

As was his other points:

• His good experience doesn't constitute anything more than a single data point in determining the overall failure rate. It's no more significant than the individual experiences of people reporting problems.

• Unhappy people ARE louder.

• There seems to be no hard evidence that SDM lenses have any higher or lower failure rate than any other digital equipment. I did a VERY brief DPR search and found this: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=37729364 . Again, just anecdotal, but positive anecdotal.

• Internet petitions and lists are well-intentioned but meaningless, as they are self selected samples. Certainly they indicate there might be a problem. There are also accounts on the web that indicate the failure rate of Pentax lenses is no different from other manufacturers. That indicates there might not be a problem.

knowing that there might be a valid reason that some of us are afraid to buy this lens and also that it was not the result of internet echo chamber effects but numerous reports, including some from highly credible sources.

OK, I have to call you on that. Please cite the "highly credible sources."

Good that you are lucky with your lens. SDM lenses are known for their failure

Again, I have to call you on that. Please cite the "highly credible sources."

Please note, I myself am not saying SDM failure is "high" or "low" or "somewhere in-between." I own no SDM lenses, because I tend to buy cheaper, older, used lenses. I do own one Sigma HSM lens, and it so far seems fine.

and among the SDM lenses, this one is the worst, based on variours "anecdoctal" evidence.

Not according to this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=33072003

You apparently have accepted the Gazooma crown, and as such you need to be challenged on your FUD.

If you have REAL facts, REAL information, REAL evidence, please preset it.

-- hide signature --

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow