The World Camera!!!???

Started Jun 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
viztyger
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,258Gear list
Like?
Lenses I Used in India
In reply to tarnumf, Jul 9, 2011

tarnumf wrote:

Take whatever you have experience and most comfortable with. For a long travel I wouldn't take any new unfamiliar camera/lenses combination.

Yes, you should be familiar with your equipment, otherwise you'll miss opportunities fiddling with the camera.

I used to use a Nikon D300 and various lenses, but have since switched to Micro Four Thirds. The D300 kit and especially the lenses were too heavy and bulky for all the traveling I do. I don't want to be encumbered by my gear.

In February/March I spent 4 weeks traveling through India with my GH2. I had 5 lenses with me. Here's a list ranking the lenses in terms of how many photos I took with each one (in %). Naturally, you may have different photographic interests and will choose to use other focal lengths more frequently.

1. 33% Lumix 20mm F1.7 pancake

2. 29% Leica 45mm F2.8 macro (used primarily as a short telephoto, not a as a macro)
3. 20% Lumix 100-300mm F4.0-5.6
4. 16% Lumix 7-14mm F4.0
5. 2% Voigtländer Nokton 25mm F0.95

It's obvious why I've now sold the Voigtländer. I also have a 14-42mm kit zoom, but that stays at home: the image quality from the prime lenses is not only better, but the bright maximum apertures make these lenses so much more versatile.

Some of the photos I took while traveling in India can be found here:
http://www.bmupix.com/journal/2011/2/15/sunset-at-juhu.html

Click the left red arrow at the top of the entry to advance forward in the trip.

-- hide signature --
 viztyger's gear list:viztyger's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow