XZ-1. Barns. Dramatic Filter. First Impressions.

Started Jul 9, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
XZ-1. Barns. Dramatic Filter. First Impressions.
Jul 9, 2011

Hi All,

I recently bought the XZ-1 right before the price started dropping on it (of course) and in a nutshell I'm very happy with the camera. It is a great p&s.

I'm barely an amateur but I have generally been having fun with my various Pentax DSLRs (most recently the K-5). My trusty p&s from 5 years ago, the beloved Fuji F31, still works like a charm but I was missing the ability to shoot in RAW, use a fast, high capacity SD card, and the 35mm of the Fuji just isn't very wide. Enter the 3 challengers we all know about and long story short, after months of deliberation, the XZ-1 arrived!

I'm still learning how to use the camera. To me it isn't a terribly intuitive camera but it is my first Oly so I expected a learning curve.

Photos below were taken in bright, mid-afternoon, very hot sun with a family waiting in the car (i.e. I was more rushed than I would have liked). I could barely see the LCD screen but squinted my way through - even with the sunglasses on.

Had to try the Dramatic tone filter and much to my surprise and delight, really liked the results. All photos were shot in RAW (of course the Dramatic filter was jpeg) and all processed a bit in Lightroom, most noticeably warming up the AWB results. I find the Olympus colors rather cool and I prefer a bit warmer tone for most of my photos - even the ones with the dramatic filter.

sue

Same angle as above but with the Dramatic Filter

Same shot but with the Dramatic Filter

Of course there was a terrific meal after this little journey and I gave the "text" scene mode a try too!

photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow