14-24mm f/2.8 for Wedding?

Started Jul 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Cliff Beard
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Re: 14-24mm f/2.8 for Wedding?
In reply to Reelnut1, Jul 8, 2011

I take the zoom trio of 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 to weddings and use them all, though the 14-24 perhaps gets used the least. That's not to say its unimportant.

Its fantastic for conveying the size of a grand venue, for taking shots of the reception room all decked out ready for the wedding breakfast and for some group shots. I find it actually performs better at 24mm than the 24-70 does. The 14mm end is often too wide for most work at weddings but its a very useful addition to the wedding photo tool bag.

I will also carry some fast primes such as Sigma's 85 f1.4 and a Zeiss 100 f2 to add variety and extreme ability to get selective focus. As a guest photographer I think you may struggle to get much use out of the 14-24 unless you know you will have choice of position and be able to enter for example the reception hall before others can. As one reply already stated, you may get better results with a fast longer prime or zoom where you stay back a bit and takes shots of opportunity.

Good luck

-- hide signature --

Where can I buy some natural artistic ability?!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow