A week plus with the SD1 (long.....very long)

Started Jul 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Managarm
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
Ups and Downs
In reply to rick decker, Jul 8, 2011

First of all, thanks for the honest input and for linking to your pictures. All of them in full size, thank you even more.

So far, I have seen very few absolutely great looking images from the SD1 that were just a pleasure to look at. I have seen a whole lot more really bad images that make you wonder if they really come from a recent DSLR at all. Unfortunately many of yours belong to the last group. Please don't get me wrong, I'm only talking about the technical quality, no offense at all regarding your artistic skills.

But please, in all honesty, are you satisfied with with the technical quality of shots like this for example: http://www.pbase.com/rickdecker/image/136173125 ? If this picture doesn't look digital, then I don't know which other would. Bad aliasing on most straight lines, way oversharpened, extremely noisy for ISO 100 (this might partially also be an effect of your NIK filters (tonal contrast?)), digital artefacts all over the place, the transitions from the clouds to the mountain are terrible, the few white blossoms are clipped although the sky is overcast and some other parts pitch black, and so on...

Some of these effects will be caused/enhanced by the processing, others will be due to technical limits of the camera. Not all of them are easy to tell apart, judging only from a JPG.

Since I don't think anyone spends this amount for an SD1 without prior experience with some other cameras - could you give a short impression of the specific strengths and weaknesses of the SD1 regarding prior experience with other cams? Do you think these shots have better optical quality than with whatever you have been working before? And finally a question that is unavoidable with the SD1 - Do you think this quality is worth the money?

Thank you very much for the input and please don't take my comment as a personal rant.

Greetings

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AndNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow