Started Jul 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CobaltFire
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Why the focus on JPEG's instead of RAW?
Jul 6, 2011

I am honestly trying to understand why so many people focus on JPEG output of cameras when we have RAW available. I could understand it in a P&S where there is no option, but when you have programs like Aperture and Lightroom that can apply a desired look to any photo why are we comparing in camera JPEG output?

I know that RAW output has been a big advantage to me since I bought my first DSLR in 2006, and I shoot in it exclusively now. The extra PP required is not a big deal, and memory is so cheap now as to make the difference in shots I can take an academic point (I carry 16-24GB at any given time, as I imagine many others do).

So all that said, why the fuss over JPEGs? I can take my GH2's output and give it an Olympus or Leica cast if I want to in PP with no issues at all. Please help me to understand, as this has honestly been bothering me of late with the comparison of a PEN's tone to the G3's to the GH2's, etc.

CobaltFire's gear list:CobaltFire's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow