Started Jul 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Mohundro
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?
Take the 14-45 Panny lens to Italy?
Jul 6, 2011

I suspect that the first and obvious answer would be that the 14-45 is so modestly-sized that it, if not the GF1 I'm taking, will fit in a pocket.

I'm really tempted to go with just the 20mm f/1.7 and count on footwork for zooming. I've been to Italy, York in the UK and Barcelona, and carried a 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 on my Nikon DX D80, and found that I really only used the zoom end (and that at usually not more than 70mm) for shooting in churchs (stained glass windows, alters and other interior features where I couldn't get as close as I wanted).

A benefit of going only with the 20mm pancake is that dust infiltration is quite minimized, and the camera is fairly unobtrusive (a large pocket might actually work); I expect not to use the flash except if my hotel room(s) are especially funky in some obvious respects. I'm wondering if the lens stabilation of the 14-45 trumps the max aperture of the 20mm for shooting in perhaps somewhat dim churches or if, all else equal, I'll be able to blow up the 20mm shots with IQ retained sufficient for, say, slide shows later on my Panny plasma (I'm shooting RAW and PP in Lightroom).
--
Jim Mohundro

Jim Mohundro's gear list:Jim Mohundro's gear list
Nikon D610
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow