Professional Photographers - Free pics for friends?

Started Jul 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Professional Photographers - Free pics for friends?
Jul 5, 2011

Professional photographers, do you provide your social friends free photos (files) from group events such as dancing and parties?

I am building a wedding & portrait photography business.

But my friends still expect to continue to receive for free, the pictures that I take at our social events like I have been doing for years with my old P&S that I no longer have. These may be dances at music festivals or club or parties that I go to socialize and have fun. Nobody asks me to take pictures at these events. I do it on my own accord. I bring my dslr everywhere I go.

Should I continue to provide the free image files, or start charging them like a wedding / portrait client? Perhaps putting them on a pro-sharing site, for review and access. And allow them to purchase a hard copy picture or a file. If they like the picture enough. It also gives them a chance to see the pictures of others friends, bands, scenery, etc. It is not specifically a photo shoot of an individual.

It is better to continue my friendships and not cause ill will and hope that people may provide referrals for my wedding & portrait business.

I am devaluing my work by providing free picture. People are less likely to see me as a professional.

People may be disappointed when they are unable to get what they have been previously getting for free.

Possible oppoortunity to market my talents to those who see the pictures. Or not.

What should I do?

-- hide signature --

SHILL is an associate of a person selling goods or services or a political group, who pretends no association to the seller/group and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.
Abes Of Maine - 15% restock
42nd Photo - 20% restock - 15% restock - 15 day - 10-20% restock - 0% restock
Electronics Expo - 30 day - 20% restock

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow