Upgrading E-PL1 to E-P(L?)3?

Started Jul 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,967Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrading E-PL1 to E-P(L?)3?
In reply to RMillward, Jul 5, 2011

RMillward wrote:

Of course the decision to upgrade is obviously a very personal one... But I'm evaluating whether to upgrade from an E-PL1 to an E-P3 variant, and I'm interested to hear thoughts from other E-PL1 owners on their reasons for upgrading (or not)...

FWIW, I had been thinking that with my next body purchase, I'd move over to the main E-P# line (frankly because I think a remote might be useful, not because I have any significant problem with the E-PL picture quality or operations).

Thoughts?

I often use several of my four-thirds DSLR lenses with my E-PL1. As you said, image quality alone would be no reason to upgrade as the E-PL1 produces fantastic images and my four-thirds lenses work well. AF is slow so I often manually focus when using them, especially my 12-60 SWD.

Yesterday I saw this post on the Olympus DSLR forum and watched the attached video of how the 12-60 now works with the E-P3..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=38821763

I've already contacted the local Olympus store here in Dallas/Fort Worth and have gotten on their list to get the E-P3 as soon as they can get a body-only, which probably will be 2-3 months after the kits have started selling.

I think the overall speed incease of both camera operation and AF speed, both with the micro lenses as well as what looks to be much improved four-thirds lens AF speed, plus the better controls of the higher-end body compared to the E-PL models, is more than significant enough of an upgrade for me to make the jump to the E-P3.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow