DP Review's E-P3 comparison to E-P1 is not compelling

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,683
Like?
Re: 20mm
In reply to LarryPhoto, Jul 3, 2011

Their new focus on style and quality appearance seems to lend them to bringing our a "Limited" or "Luxury" set of lenses... say a 17/1.2 or 17/1.4, like Canon L or Pentax Limited lenses.

Having inexpensive primes available for a system is really a benefit. Having smaller, lighter and cheaper options is always good, you don't only want to have top Leica or Canon L's to choose from.

Many people say the 17 focuses faster than the 20 if focus speed is a driver for you. Sure, f2.8 is limiting for many people.

LarryPhoto wrote:

Olympus needs a Lens like the Panny 20mm 1.7 that can focus fast, or make their 17mm a faster lens, 2.8 does not cut it for me.

As far as I know, the new AF system doesn't really make much of a difference with regular 4/3 lenses so using fast glass like the 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 or the 35-100 F2 would be little different on this new line of Pens (as the previous generations).

Personally, I'd be interested in these new Pens for kid photos. Coupled with a few, fast primes (optimized for the new AF), this could do wonders. I've had difficulties so far with the E-PL1 and the notoriously slow Lumix 20mm F1.7. Locking focus can be a challenge in low light.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow