Started Jul 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fwellers
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?
Digital M for Rolex ?
Jul 2, 2011

No matter how much time passes, my interest and intrigue for Leica won't disappear. As a matter of fact, I keep coming to all the Leica forms if only just for the pics. So man Leica pics have a look that I just love.

I know some of it has to do with the excellent lenses used, but there is something else about the style of the pics. I am thinking that Leica helps inspire a certain type of composition, more lively or something. I especially see a lot more pics with some motion. I think because a lot of people use slower shutter speeds with the Leica M's.

I've only played with the M9 once or twice at my local Camera dealer. I am not 100% sure RF is even for me yet. I tried manual focus by renting a zeiss lens and decided it was too difficult for my older eyes, but I think it would be a good bit easier with a RF.

I have a D700 with 2 nice pro zooms but recently bought the 501.4g and am enjoying the lightweight smaller package to shoot with. I would even like a less conspicuous setup and the M would be great for that.

To my initial question. If I were to sell my only rolex and some other gear ( yea probably my d700 ) I could fund an M9 and a great either 50 or 35mm lens. ( or an M10 if I wait long enough.

But I am thinking that is a dumb move because I consider the Rolex to be something that would totally hold its value and even appreciate over long term. yes even for 20 or 30 years.

But as great as an M9 is, I feel that due to it's digital makeup, it would be a hunk of metal in 10 or 15 years ( probably less )

I mean, I think it would probably still work, but that digital technology would have moved so far beyond it, I wouldn't want to shoot it anymore.

I have considered a film M but keep rejecting the idea because I just don't think I want to deal with the learning curve, and expense etc.. of film. Nothing against film, I actually love it, and try to make my digital images look like film, but digital is just too convenient.

So am I thinking correctly that it's a stupid move to give up a Rolex that I wear every single day and Love for a digital M ?

Thanks for your thoughts and sorry this is so long.

Floyd

-- hide signature --

Peace,
Floyd

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow