Wow, Oly wipes the floor with Panasonic!

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
DjarumBlack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?
Choices
In reply to graphikal, Jul 1, 2011

I think we are missing the forrest through the trees here.

The E-P3 has a high res touch OLED screen. The E-PL3 does not have a touch screen and its not as high resolution.

First, the touch screen has some really cool features, like quickly selecting focus or even taking a picture using the touch screen . Now, they could have put the flip lower res screen on the E-P3. This makes the camera thicker, especially with an added grip. Dpreview already showed that.

Ideally, an OLED tiltable touch screen would have been the best option. My guess is that this adds a good bit of thickness to the camera, and Olympus is trying to make them as thin as they can. I'd imagine this isn't cheap, either.

So what does Olympus do? They give us a choice. Do we value a tiltable screen more or do we value an OLED touch screen more? They could have just given us one or the other. Funny thing is, if they would have released the E-PM1 and E-P3 without the E-PL3, I don't think we'd be complaining about it as much.

Choices are a good thing.

I mean, the GF3 isn't tiltable either. The G3 is, but its market I think is different too. Its not as small as the E-PL3.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Vas?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow