Canon 60D with indoor and walkaround lens?

Started Jul 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BigBadWolfie
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Canon 60D with indoor and walkaround lens?
Jul 1, 2011

Hi. I'm new to the forum and new to DSLR. I initially bought a 600d with the 18-55mm kit lens. After playing around with it a bit, I decided that I was going to upgrade the kit lens anyways and was better off with a 60d (it helped that the 60d felt better in my hands and the body was only $50 more than the 600d with kit lens).

So now I have a Canon 60D and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens on order and I'm looking for len(s) to fill in the gap. I've read through a lot of threads and I know it's been rehashed to death but I can't decide.

Like many, I'm trying to decide between the

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and
EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I would say over 60% of my pictures are indoors. I take lots of photos at restaurants. Outdoors I like taking night shots but there are obviously many opportunties to take shots during the day.

With that said, I like the extra zoom of the 15-85mm lens but with the 55-250mm lens in my bag, I'm attracted to the better IQ of the 17-55mm lens. I like to purchase something I can stick with long-term rather than be involved in the whole upgrade cycle whenever possible. Here's what is holding me back from making a decision.

The 15-85mm lens is more versatile but because I like taking indoor and night shots I'm thinking the 17-55mm lens makes more sense. While I prefer the extra range the 15-85mm lens give me, I think I could do without the extra range in return for superior optics and better low light capabilities. Then again, is the 17-55mm even good enough for my indoor and night shot needs? With the price difference being $350+ I'm wondering if I'm better off with the 15-85mm as my walkaround lens and use the difference to buy an indoor prime lens, perhaps something like the Sigma 30 f/1.4?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow