When going FF, what is the best replacement for EF-S 17-55?

Started Jun 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?
Re: When going FF, what is the best replacement for EF-S 17-55?
In reply to grunticus, Jul 1, 2011

grunticus wrote:

I really love the EF-S 17-55. It's on my 7D almost always. I plan to switch to FF if and when a 5D Mk ii replacement is introduced that has similar AF and FPS performance compared with the 7D.

This may still be a long time from now, but already, I am wondering what EF lens would be a good replacement for the 17-55 (and EF-S 10-20 which I also have).

What are your experiences with this?

Cheers,

Leon

This has no doubt been discussed, debated and hashed and rehashed countless times here and elsewhere.

IMHO: there is no Canon direct replacement for the 10-20. The 16-35 might seem to foot the bill but the Sigma 12-24 might be a more apples-apples replacement.

The 17-55 is another can of worms. How do you shoot with it? What do you shoot with it? I found the range to limiting and the DOF uninspriring to ever get a copy. I'd outfitted myself with a 28-70L and 24-105L when my main shooter was a 50D. Again, the 2.8 on the crop was not interesting enough and the 24-105 lived on the 50D.

On the 5DII its a bit different story. The 28-70 is used for portraits and mostly close and well lighted imaging (usually tripoded). There is a reason that people refer to the 2x-70L as "the brick". Lugging it mounted to a 5DII is a bit of weight.

Much like the 50D before it, my 24-105L spends most of its time mounted. Its lighter weight, good range and IS. Whats not to like? As a "walk around" lens, its almost perfect.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
http://flickr.com/photos/mbloof
http://www.Marko-Photo.com
Technologist @ Large

• Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow