d400

Started Jun 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
colinadams
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Re: Fear not!
In reply to Simon Garrett, Jul 1, 2011

Simon Garrett wrote:

• diminishing returns due to diffraction limits. A 24MP DX sensor is diffraction-limited at f/8. You can't get 24MP of resolution on a DX sensor beyond f/5.6. I have cheaper, lighter lenses (main one being the 16-85) which probably won't do justice to 24MP, and in any case as an f/3.5-5.6 lens, I stop down to f/8 when possible.

Not according to http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm - at least, not for what I want to do.

I selected max. print dimension 12" (if I change that to 15", which I personally don't want to do, then the calculator indicates diffraction limited at f/11), used the defaults for viewing distance and eyesight, and selected 24 megapixels resolution, and CF of 1.5x.

Then the calculator doesn't indicate diffraction limited until f/16 (not even at f/13).

For my shooting, getting to f/11 would be extremely rare, as I prefer to use at least 1/2500 second (I would really prefer 1/4000, but I need to compromise between freezing wing movement - I take dragonflies in flight, getting sufficient DOF, and limiting noise. 1/2500 at ISO 800 is my current usual compromise settings).

So it depends upon what your shooting requirements are. Mine are very challenging on equipment, unfortunately.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
d400New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow