D3100 overexposing in portrait orientation?

Started Jul 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Laux
Forum MemberPosts: 50Gear list
Like?
D3100 overexposing in portrait orientation?
Jul 1, 2011

I've recently discovered that my D3100 has a metering problem with some lenses when I take shots in portrait orientation. It actually has to be just about exactly portrait orientation -- exposures are correct at 15, 45, 60 degree angles, but I get severe overexposure, inaccurate metering, and the viewfinder actually looks darker when I hold it at a full 90 degrees. When I return the camera to landscape orientation, the first shot is overexposed, and all subsequent shots are correctly exposed. I've observed the problem using the 18-105VR lens and the 55-200VR lens. Strangely, the problem does not occur with the 35mm F/1.8. Also, if I shoot in manual mode the camera exposes as indicated, but I can see that the metering is all off so I need to compensate/chimp exposure manually without aid of the meter in the viewfinder. All lenses work fine on my D40, so I've concluded that the problem does not lie with the lenses.

It's almost as if the mirror is sticking in an incorrect position during composition and metering, but wouldn't that be more disruptive to the image in the viewfinder? What I see is just a slightly dim image, almost as if a filter was in place somewhere (no filter was on the lenses).

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Any thoughts on what's wrong and whether I might be able to deal with it myself? Or does it need to go back to Nikon?

Jim Laux's gear list:Jim Laux's gear list
Kodak DX7440 Nikon D40 Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow