Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,611Gear list
Like?
I wonder one thing about the Q
Jun 30, 2011

So the Pentax Q, despite its small size, is actually quite roomy relative to the size of its sensor. Even the lenses clearly have a lot of extra space between the glass and the outside of the barrel, in most cases.

I have one simple question: why couldn't Pentax have made a camera just as small, just as cute, just about as lightweight, just as well designed, and just about the same price... with a 1/1.7" sensor instead of a 1/2.3" sensor?

Going that small just seems gratuitously unnecessary. What makes it galling is that there was no need to do it!

Since, as far as we know, the small sensor size is the only shortcoming of the Q system, and the sole basis for all negative comments about it, I just wonder why they couldn't have used a moderately larger size. Reaction to the camera would have been far more positive, and it probably wouldn't have changed either the weight or the cost by a noticeable amount.

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Pentax 02 Standard Zoom +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow