Tips for stars (not star trails) with D300? NR or no?

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Janet Zinn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,181Gear list
Like?
Tips for stars (not star trails) with D300? NR or no?
Jun 30, 2011

I will be in the Kalahari next month and it should be great conditions for shooting some night sky scenes--super clear with no light pollution. Unfortunately, there will be a full moon so star trails are probably out, and also I don't think I can stay up for two hour exposures--but I'd like to try to get some landscapes with stars.

I know the basics--I think--high ISO, wide angle, fast lens. Exposures up to about 20-30 seconds to avoid shifting stars. (The lens I'll probably be using is the 24-120VR II F4. Unless I can find room for my Sigma 24 1.4 but already having weight issues with carry-on...)

My confusion is with noise reduction. Should I be using long-exposure NR? High-ISO NR in camera, or after the fact? (I always have it turned off in camera, normally, and use Neat Image when necessary after the fact.)

This is probably a stupid question, but wouldn't long-exposure NR subtract the stars interpreting them as noise?

It will be cold, so that should positively effect potential noise.

Any tips appreciated. This type of night shooting is completely new to me.

-- hide signature --

Janet
D 3 0 0 & D 3 0 0 s
http://www.jczinn.com

Janet Zinn's gear list:Janet Zinn's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow