Is it me, or are the SD1 photos so far pretty uninspiring?

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ipsofoto
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Is it me, or are the SD1 photos so far pretty uninspiring?
Jun 30, 2011

From the shots on the official site, to Flickr and shots posted here, so far nothing has particularly impressed me. And before techie nerds jump up and down and tell me that viewing on a monitor is crap etc (which I am sure they will do anyway as these forums are crammed with techie nerds), I have found that even on a monitor, Foveon shots often have a vibrancy not captured elsewhere.

The only shot that has interested me so far is a photo of some green fishing nets against a red background by Carl Rytterfalk. Compared to all the others, I still prefer the shots of Noisy Paradise on his DP1 and DP2 on Flickr and they cost a tenth of an SD1 (and are significantly less versatile I concede).

I am sure someone will point to me that it's all in the Firmware, or lenses, or calibration, or it's better in print...

I used to have a Canon 5D and sold it along with some lovely Canon lenses because I found the camera too heavy and ergonomically unwieldy. Sometimes when I see 5D2 shots I regret my decision to sell the lenses. For the cost of the SD1 you can get the 5D2 plus lenses, and the 5D2 takes decent shots above 800 ISO.

I love looking at the medium/large format photographs of the likes of Joel Sternfeld and Adam Bartos. At its price point, for me, the SD1 needs to be producing comparable results - something that is so finely detailed and sharp that is is distinguished from standard DSLRs. So far, I for one have not been that impressed. Early days I guess.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow