Wow, Oly wipes the floor with Panasonic!

Started Jun 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow, Oly wipes their chin...
In reply to mpetersson, Jun 30, 2011

mpetersson wrote:

rkeller wrote:

Niche lenses? Say what!? EVERYBODY has been screaming for a fast portrait prime for a long time.

Sure, every camera crazy enthusiast on this forum has been screaming for it. But for the masses of P&S upgraders or casual shooters that Oly and Panasonic need for volume these lenses are definitely niche glass and nothing they would pay for. Like dpreview wrote in their preview of the EP-3, many users will just keep their zoom lenses on the camera for the duration. And if they buy something more it will probably be a telezoom.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they release more quality primes. That is what I want, and most people on this forum want. But for the market as a whole it's probably not the most important factor.

Exactly.

Even mass-market DSLR users never change their mega kit zooms, shoot only in A-mode and walk around with the pop-up flash deployed ready to use their advanced fill flash technique taking snapshots of their progeny looking into the sunset. I see this EVERY day walking around NYC. The pop-up flash thing is hilarious.

When people ask about my GH2 the questions are about megapixels and zoom. Most blink when I explain that I'm using a prime lens.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Vas?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow