Started Jun 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Wide-angle lens for 7D
Jun 29, 2011

I have a Canon 15-85mm lens that usually lives on my 7D and I am generally very happy with it, but I occasionally find that it is not wide enough. I was recently at Arches National Park in the US and found that there were just some shots I could not take without trying to make a panorama. Since the objects were close to me the panorama ended up being distorted.

This started me thinking that perhaps I needed something wider for occasional shots. Because I don't need it very much I don't want to spend too much money, but I want a lens that will deliver decent images with decent color. I have been thinking about both the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 10-20, but wanted to ask the opinions of those who are familiar with wide angle lenses.

Are the Sigma and Tamron lenses good enough to use "occasionally"? Is one better than the other? Is the Canon (or Tokina) lens better enough to warrant the extra cost? I believe that Canon makes an 8-16mm lens also. How is that lens?

These would be used for general landscape shots, not for architecture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow