ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
WildSammy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,044Gear list
Like?
D700 lens mount issues
Jun 29, 2011

Hello Nikonians

In the past I was shooting live airsoft game with my D700. There was really too much dust in the field and somehow it stick on camera mount and it created something like dark mud on the mount. My lenses was harder to mount. So I've cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, but I noticed that something like grease was on the lens mount and with this cleaning I think I removed it. I did this cleaning also to my lenses, but I think that grease was only on camera. After this my lenses mounted lighter, but after time it's worse. Now I find my lenses are really tight to mount and especially during the end turn when the lens is going to click in place. For example the 50/1.4 AF-S is really hard to mount. Other lenses like 24-120 mounts better. I've inspected the lens mount on camera with loupe, but I didn't find any sings of bent. I find only slightly wear on one part inside the mount. It's like ripped out metal, but it's very slight and hardly noticeable and I didn't think it could cause any problems. Do you think I should replace the grease on camera's lens mount or should I keep it dry? If yes for grease, which type I should use? When I'm mounting my lenses I feel something like dry friction. Otherwise everything with my camera works OK, may be with 50/1.4G is infinity focus very slightly off and noticeable only at f/1.4 so I don't know if this could be also lens mount related.

Thanks for your answers
--
S.

WildSammy's gear list:WildSammy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Apple Aperture +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow