SD1 full size disillusion (landscapes, nature)

Started Jun 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,152Gear list
Like?
Busted
In reply to petr marek, Jun 29, 2011

petr marek wrote:

I wish everyone, who blames weak image quality to preproduction software, wrong colorspace, gods, bad weather or whatever to try develop these raw files!

No you don't. You want them to just look at your conversion.

Because if they actually went and developed the RAW files, they would see what you had done was rather abnormal...

Some highlights:

That struck me as odd. I thought, how could and ISO 400 image end up so noisy?

So I tried to reproduce your result. You know what? Even pushed up two stops, even with contrast turned way up and turning off all noise reduction, I was never able to close in on exactly the lengths you went to get such a large amount of noise.

So I present to everyone here, what that same image looks like even when you take an ISO 400 image, push it by a stop or so, and increase contrast (with the default level of ISO 400 noise reduction applied):

"Unfair!" I hear you cry. "You do not increase saturation to +2.0 in order to try and increase noise as much as possible!".

Well here's that same image with the (ghastly) application of +2.0 saturation:

So please do tell us, just why did you remove all noise reduction, and then increase saturation by +2.0 before posting samples? And then what ELSE did you do I wonder?

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow