Started Jun 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
escapewheel
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Yet another versatile lens thread
Jun 28, 2011

Maybe my problem is that I've read too many threads like this, followed by endless perusal of lens reviews and tests, but I'd like to make a decision and go with it.

I have a Pentax K-r, presently with the following lenses:

Pentax 18-55mm (kit lens)
Pentax 50mm f1.4
Pentax 50mm f2.8 macro
Pentax 55-300mm
Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro
Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3

Here's my question. Ideally, I'd like to walk around with a two lens setup ... one all-arounder and probably the Sigma 105 macro (I like to shoot insects, bugs, flowers whenever I can). I rarely use the Pentax 50mm macro, and the 50mm f1.4 doesn't seem to get much use, either. To be perfectly honest, the only one of these lenses I would really miss is the Sigma (given the rave reviews of the two Pentax 50s, I never thought I'd say that). I need something wide angle, but with some reach - I usually shoot around 20-30mm, then with a gap until 80-100, then another jump until near 200mm.

So I'm looking for suggestions / opinions. I could get something like the Sigma 18-250 and cover nearly all of my bases at once, with the known trade-off in image quality (part of my problem here is that there's no way for me to quantify the image quality of, say, 200mm with this lens vs 200mm with my Tamron). Or, I could go with the Pentax 18-135 or Sigma 18-125 and get two of my bases covered with better IQ (presumably - right?), then just pull out my 55-300 at times when I know I'll need the reach. Finally, I could get the faster 17-70 from Sigma or Pentax and just resign myself to having it and the 55-300 with me at all times.

Can you tell I'm confused? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated... Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow