Do Cameras get better with time?

Started Jun 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
TXforester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,696
Like?
yes and no
In reply to Albino_BlacMan, Jun 28, 2011

The thread title doesn't fit the body of the thread.

Do cameras get better with time? Yes for new cameras depending how you define better. Assuming a definition of better means improved image quality, then yes. If you throw ergonomics and ease of use in, then it depends on the camera. Fiddling with menus for basic controls sucks. Give me manual controls like film cameras have for aperture, shutter speed and ISO. That way my eye never has to leave the VF and I can be aware of my subject and surroundings while making changes. So, menus for some cameras be degrading.

Does post processing software get better? Again, yes.

Do older cameras improve with time? Nope. They appear to improve with newer processing software. However, the sensors don't age like wine. About the only argument you can make for cameras improving with age is the ability to put improved lenses on on older bodies. Of course it doesn't improve the sensor, so that line of reasoning only holds true as far as the lens is part of the camera system for interchangeable lens cameras. The logic falls apart for fixed lens cameras.

-- hide signature --

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I don't think they wanted me to say anything. It was just their way of having a bit of fun, the swines. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow