Fair warning on Carbonite--they're VERY slow!

Started Jun 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
hiro_pro
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Re: Fair warning on Carbonite--they're VERY slow!
In reply to Jess, Jun 28, 2011

Carbonite is SLOW!!! i have them. it is nice having an online backup. i was able to hit my backup remotely a few times and get what i needed. it is like having website for my PC. Here is a great forum talking about online backup options. http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75326 . crashplan is the favorite today.

complaints about carbonite aside, online backup is a great option. I raid (mirror) my data drive and have online backup. i should probably have an extra hard drive stashed remotely too.

i work in risk management where i hear all kinds of stories about people losing computers with protected information. my favorite is the guy that has the laptop and the backup drive in the same briefcase. then the briefcase gets stolen. you can do all the backing up you want, if there is no physical separation between the the backup and the computer then you are still vulnerable to many of the risks out there.

-- hide signature --

d7000
tamron 17-50 f2.8
sigma 70-200 f2.8

hiro_pro's gear list:hiro_pro's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow